Thursday, April 26, 2007

You're out!

Why are we, at times, asked to do the very thing that we do not want to do?
I grew up downriver. As far as my friends knew their were only two sports. Football and Baseball. In my family the only real sport was swimming.
I did none of the above. Soccer and basketball were my sports ( by "my sports" I mean I played them, but I was never really good at either.) I was a member of the Pepsi Tiger's fan club. I have sat thru so many Tigers games that I can not even give a close estimate to the number of hours I have wasted. So on a superficial level I understand the game, balls, strikes, outs, and even some of the nit-picky rules (balks, ball thrown out of play.) I hold no claim to the ins and outs of the strategies that make a great manager.
The sport is so slow that I can not even stay awake for half of a game. Basically I do not enjoy the sport. Austin does, and he is pulling Collin & Hope with him. So what is a good father to do? I go to the game and root on the Chargers. That is until Tuesday's game, when the umpire did not show. Coach Conn asked if I could ump the plate. So I did. I am sure that I blew more than my fair share of calls. But it is only Jr high ball.
I found myself realizing that yelling at the ump is not a good idea. The first strike that I called a coach started to yell about the "bad" call (for the record I still think it was a strike.) If I were the vindictive type, I could easily see how the strike zone could grow as the coaches complain.

Austin has a game today if it is not rained out. I think I might be a little late to avoid a similar situation.

On a geeky note, Check out Larry's site if you have a Mac. If you do not own a Mac... I'm sorry. Go buy one and then you can use the cool stuff Larry talks about.

2 Comments:

Blogger Grant and Brenda said...

I can honestly say I know how you felt. I laughed out loud as I read. It's also a good idea to sit in the car until you see an umpire arrive.
BLT

9:02 PM

 
Blogger Mike and Nicole said...

Yeah, I know as your kids get older the umps are more likely to show. (or be properly scheduled as I believe Uncle David explained to me) As funny as you umping was, nothing was as humerous as sitting behind Aunt Tina as she tried to be the stats girl. She didn't do bad, quite on top of things actually, as I'm sure you know she would be...but some of her questions, that were likely to herself but said outloud, made me laugh.

5:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home